Though a winter storm that swept through Raleigh last month resulted in cancelled classes and traffic accidents, experts are predicting an even more formidable storm to hit Wake County as early as Tuesday.
The storm is expected to hit the southern parts of the county Tuesday with an array of snow and ice; however, it’s thought that the worst part will take place on Wednesday and Thursday, according to The News & Observer.
“It’s going to be a mess, basically. All signs point to that,” said Chris Hohmann, chief meteorologist for WTVD The N&O reported Monday night. “It’s still two days out, so I don’t want to sound too many alarms, but it could be a significant winter storm.”
The storm is expected to hit the inland center of the state hardest, Hohmann said.
In addition, the National Weather Service anticipates the snow will later be compounded with freezing rain and sleet, which would cause dangerous road conditions across the state.
The NWS issued a winter storm watch for several counties in central North Carolina, including Wake, Durham and Orange counties. Parts of the Triangle experienced light snow and 2-3 inches are expected later in the week, according to WRAL.
By Wednesday, experts expect a wintry mix in the Triangle, slick roads and possible power outages, WRAL reported.
A spokesman for the North Carolina Department of Transportation said crews will start brining roads in the Triangle, according to WRAL.